Filing a Civil Protection Order

How do I get a Protection Order for my safety?

When a criminal complaint (such as Domestic Violence) is filed within our Court, there are two possible scenarios for obtaining a protection order. First, if the person requested a temporary protection order (TPO) at the scene and signed the motion, the request will be dealt with by the judge during the defendant’s first court appearance (i.e., arraignment).  If the person did not sign a motion requesting a TPO at the scene and would still like to seek a protection order, he or she can provide a written request by faxing or bringing it to the Clerk’s Office or contacting the Prosecutor’s Office for assistance.  (Call 937-296-2461 or 937-296-2549 for more assistance.)

Please note that if there is NOT a criminal complaint filed in this court and you would like to request a Civil Protection Order, there are two divisions of the Montgomery County Common Pleas Court that may be able to assist you.

Montgomery County Common Pleas Court, Domestic Relations Division

Address:  301 W. 3rd St., 2nd Floor (3rd and Perry)
Phone number:  937-496-6859

Handles all situations/requests where the person is requesting a protection order against a direct family relative or a boyfriend/girlfriend with whom they have lived for at least two weeks within the past five years.

The Court’s Public Coordinator for Domestic Violence will review completed paperwork between 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday)

Please visit the Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Domestic Relations Division for more information and to download their protection order packet.  There is no filing fee.

Montgomery County Common Pleas Court, General Division

Address:  41 N. Perry St., Room 103 in the Common Pleas Court
Building Hours:  8:30 – 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 – 3:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Phone numbers:  937-224-3609, 937-225-4864

Handles Civil Stalking or Sexually Oriented Offense Protection Orders. Must be a resident of Montgomery County, not be a blood relative, do not currently live together or have lived together within the past five years, never have been married, do not have children.

Please visit the Montgomery County Common Pleas Court General Division, Civil Stalking Protection Order Program for more information and to download the protection order form. There is no filing fee.